WHITE SPOT REMOVAL
Icon – White Spot Treatment
Icon is a revolutionary new treatment that can improve the appearance of white spots or a mottled appearance of teeth with no drilling.
- Trauma or Illness- any trauma to the teeth or illness as a baby or child can lead to white spots on the adult teeth
- Fluorosis – this occurs when there is consumption of too much fluoride as a child when the adult teeth are developing
- Decalcification of the enamel– this is the loss of minerals from the enamel. This can be due to poor brushing and build up of plaque acids on the enamel surface. It can also occur during fixed brace treatment if there has been a lapse in good brushing around the brackets, as it is difficult to brush your teeth with braces.
- Molar Incisal Hypoplasia- this is a developmental condition that affects enamel
- Problems and illness during pregnancy and premature birth can sometimes cause white spots on the child’s teeth.
Many people mistake the white spots or mottled appearance of their teeth for staining and think they can be improved by teeth whitening, however, unfortunately, whitening has little effect on the white spots and they remain a lighter shade of white compared to the rest of the tooth.
Icon is a white spot removal treatment which doesn’t involve any drilling or removal of a healthy part of tooth.
The treatment works by infiltrating the pores of the tooth where the white spot is located via a tooth-coloured resin. A special gel is applied to the white spot to open up the pores, to enable a deep penetration of the resin. The resin is then light-cured, while the white spot infiltrated by the resin takes on
the appearance of the surrounding healthy enamel. The resin also blocks acids that can make enamel wear away, and it can help preserve the tooth from additional decay. This results in a beautiful, healthy and aesthetically pleasing all over white smile.
The beauty of Icon White Spot Treatment is that due to it’s minimally invasive technique, no drills are used and no anaesthetic is necessary; the whole process is very quick too.